Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 3

Today was Saturday, the big day, the day we fit 13 people with prosthetic legs. Today the prosthetist, Eddie, decided that he wanted to marry me because I was always cleaning. I am confident saying that I was his favorite. Our clients were the best people and I remember them all, I think:) There was Brenda and Jose Luis, Eddy and Carlos F, Catalina, Melvin, Maynor, Noel, Blanca, Liliana, Luiz, Carlos N, and Maria.

One of my favorite things is when they spoke English like Luiz. I loved just sitting with him and talking about his daily life and his accident. He was in a school bus when he was ten and got ejected out. The bus then ran him over, taking his leg, and kept going. He told me of his efforts to get them to pay for his injuries, but he had no such luck. The court system there is really awful. He has the best attitude and was so grateful for our help.

I honestly could go on and on about each of the clients, but I will finish this post with Carlos Fernando. He is the little boy missing two legs. He was in a truck with his dad driving, his mom in the middle seat, and he was riding shotgun. There was a semi in front of them that was taking and exit right, making it impossible to see that traffic was stopped in front of them. His dad tried to avert traffic, but the accident hit right in front of Carlos, eventually causing him to loose both legs. The worst part of the story is that his dad left his family shortly after. I can't imagine losing that much in a short period of time. It must have been awful. His mom had to get a job, and luckily got a good job with Walmart. This good job only pays about $200 each month. It is obvious to me why she is unable to buy prosthesis for her son when the least expensive you can find in Guatemala is $750. Multiply that by 2 for both legs, $1500, and that is 7 1/2 months of her pay. Carlos will grow out of his legs fairly quickly because of his age. He is so young that his bones also keep growing. This causes a lot of pain and requires surgery. He was able to get one leg operated on in Antigua and the hospital we visited. He didn't understand English, so usually when I was with him I just held his hand. He really was the coolest little guy.

Many of the amputations were caused my car accidents. There was also one from lightening, one from a train, four from diabetes, and one from cancer. It really was so great to get to know and help these people. This day was so fulfilling and humbling. I can't believe that only days earlier I sat in my air conditioned apartment, drank my tap water and felt over burdened by school. I am so very VERY lucky to have the life that I do. My troubles don't compare to the trials I have seen in Guatemala. I hope I always remember that.













No comments:

Post a Comment