Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 1


Today started on an airplane at midnight. We all slept MAYBE 2-3 hours sparatically and landed in Guatemala City at 6a.m. We found our driver and he took us to the prosthetic clinic. The streets were INSANE. If there were 3 lanes in the road, there would be 5 lanes of speeding cars and motorcycles weaving around everywhere. The first people we met in the clinic were LDS missionaries. This made me feel like I was back in Utah. We talked with Eddie, the doctor there who I was very impressed with. He let us invade his clinic for the next few weeks and helped us with a design he was completely new to. He made me feel confident that the fittings would go well in a few days and said he had a group of ten coming from near and far. They were all people who had a huge need for a prosthetic but could not afford one. Some grew out of previous ones, and some had never had a prosthetic. The clinic could not afford to give away the design that they use on a regular basis, so the design we brought to them is going to be a huge benefit to these people. The difference in manufacturing price is hundreds of dollars. After meeting with him we left for Antigua, about an hour away, to visit an orphanage we collected supplies for. All the details of day 2 will be posted next, but I will give you a hint. It was a huge success, just like Day 1!

2 comments:

  1. I think the doctor's name was Eddie. Good job starting the blog, keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I knew that. I sometimes make silly mistakes:) Thanks Christine.

    ReplyDelete